Monday, August 18, 2008

Development

My son, seven years old as of the 12th, has always been a fan of sharks. I believe he first saw Jaws at around 4 years old. He didn't really understand it, just a big shark eating people and someone kills it. One of the things I got for him this birthday was Jaws and Jaws 2. I drove all over looking for the other two but had no luck, looks like I will be ordering them. It was this weekend, while watching Jaws 2 before Jaws, that I realized how he has matured mentally. When the mayor asked chief to lie about the what he thought was the reason the girls died, he asked me why. With kids the word "why" is thrown around a lot, so I didn't think much about it. Then we get to the beach scene, when chief sees the dark shadow in the water, calls the people out and starts shooting at it. When the guy started to yell it was just blue fish Damian started to repeat it, "its just blue fish". Then the action stopped and everyone was looking at chief, and you could tell chief was embarrassed. Damian got mad and told me "Aww man, its just blue fish. See dad, See that. He did the right thing, he thought it was a shark and he did the right thing. He didn't want anyone to get hurt, he just tried to save them". I acknowledged it and told him he was absolutely right, that sometimes you have to take risks like that and not worry what others might think. Later on when everyone saw the little boy get eaten he yelled out "see, he was right, they shouldn't have told him to lie". The next day we watched Jaws where he showed the same feelings toward the characters and the story. I thought it was pretty cool to see the difference in what a couple of years can do. I am sure we will be watching Jaws a lot more and even more when I find the last two.

1 comment:

Viking Wolf Woman said...

I love this story, keep them coming. Since I only get to see him once a year, it's nice to hear about what he likes to watch and what he thinks about it. Hopefully you got his b-day card and can use that $$ toward the other Jaws DVDs.