Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Movies in Nebraska

Walled In
Why is it that Mischa Barton looks like a cute little girl down on a farm, but sounds like a 50yr old trucker? Even the kid in the movie asked if she was a "dike", thought we retired that word, but he did ask. I don't think it was scripted, it just came to mind and he ad-libbed. The movie wasn't that good, but I didn't feel like I wasted any time. Its about an architect who builds freaky buildings, someone murders 13 people inside them by burring them alive in the walls. Mischa works as an engineer who gets buildings ready for demolition and this place is her next job. There are some twists and turns, but nothing that makes you step back. Watch if on Sci-Fi one day, but I wouldnt rent it, like I did.

Sex Drive:
Its a comedy so not a lot to discuss without ruining it. Its pretty funny, had some decent out loud laughs. The part with the donut and dildo was the best. It seems like most "provocative" comedies are starting to blend together, hopefully we still get some standouts. Its worth the rent.

Let the Right One In:
This movie was awesome, you must see this. My sister also wrote a good review, go check it out here (Mother Firefly's Faster Pussycats) . I am not a fan of love stories, what I think is a love story, doesn't qualify for Friday night date movies. For instance, True Romance , I think this is a love story and its one of my favorites. I think Let the Right One In is a love story and now it is one of my favorites. Its not just a favorite because of the "love" aspect, the entire thing rocked. Directors who make movies that aren't meant to break box offices, always seem to use the coolest, subtle, screen shots. They have a way to make every scene brilliant, even if it has no meaning. Also there is something about a horror film done in the winter and there is even more of something about a vampire movie filmed in the dead of winter. There is something about the lack of ambient "happy" sounds that we have in the winter. You can experience this in the country areas of Michigan in the winter. I am sure that this is even more true in places that experience dead winters. When movies are done like this, they produce more of a intament moment for me, when its just me, the character and that's it. There wasnt one thing wrong with this film. My only thing would be to try the Swedish version and use subtitles, dont do the dubbed version, the voice overs are really bad. I looked around on imdb forums about the movie and there was talk of an alternate ending, but I couldnt find one. I was also worried that the forums would be flooded with people complaining about the brief nude scene. I am happy to report that there was only one post, I am sick of people nit picking and thinking they all know what is best for us. It's art, thats all.

LTROI Deleted Scenes, please watch the movie first..




12 comments:

Viking Wolf Woman said...

And this is why 'Let the Right One In' is so FRIGGIN' AWESOME, you wrote a fantastic review, picked up more stuff that I didn't ( it's spot on- your observations about winter-horror movies and vampires) and you loved it and got totally different things out of it.

I also agree about the romance, I too hate the traditional love story formula, it goes up there with my favorite tragic twisted romances like Hellboy, Candyman, The Hunger, etc. True Romance rocks as well.

Haven't seen Sex Drive, I think I remember a preview? To bring on the funny I recommend Role Models.

Jumbo's Lezis said...

Two movies so far this year have grabbed me, The Boy in the Stripped Pyjamas and Let the Right One In. Both of them make you think nonstop about them even when they are over. I like your idea about the movie, but thinking of it that way leaves a lot of open ends with me, and open ends make my heart wonder, lol. Its funny the vampire talk, because when I called the kids tonight Damian was watching Twilight. He started asking me about vampires, so I filled him in on all the details. bad thing is, I talked so much about them, he thinks they are real now, lol, his mother wont sleep tonight. I did explain that they cant come in without permission. Isnt it if you let them in then the normal things like garlic, crosses and holy water wont affect them?

Viking Wolf Woman said...

LOL about Twilight. I liked the movie and the book, but I had to laugh when the guys on Dead pit were talking about the new 'sensitive' vampires, saying things like, 'I'm a vampire, I wanna be yer boyfriend and talk about feelings' hahaha.

Anyway- the first time I remember the whole thing about giving them permission was in the movie Fright Night. I was unfamiliar with that rule until then. It doesn't seem to be across the board. Look at 30 Days of Night. Ain't nobody had to invite them NOWHERE, and they're some of the scariest freakin vamps ever.

And I know the vamp in Fright Night gets killed, but I can't remember if they kill him in his house or theirs.....

Viking Wolf Woman said...

Papa Cash shared your view, and also he watched some extras with the director...who said HE chooses to view the ending as optimistic....so I think you guys probably win...lol

Jumbo's Lezis said...

30 Days vamps were the vamps of all vamps. not those bitch ass vamps like tom cruise. I think it was in Lost Boys too, were they had to have permission. Funny how it didnt make it in 30 Days, now that I think of it. 30 Days did seem to break the rules. Gonna have to investigate tonight, see what I can find out.

Jumbo's Lezis said...

Its very possible that he turned out just to be a caretaker, then again I watched the entire movie waiting for him to ask to be bitten.

Viking Wolf Woman said...

Oh I think its a love story, and the first caretaker was in love with her too...I think that's why he committed suicide, he was so disappointed that he couldn't provide for her, that he did the only thing left that he could- give his life for hers. That's friggin Romance.

Jumbo's Lezis said...

SHIT, ZOOOM, Right over my head, I never thought about him being a young boy in love one time. I just figured it was her dad or father figure. The old man was Oscar, I like this idea. That could be a major reason he was so against her talking to the boy.

Viking Wolf Woman said...

I agree. I thought it was especially heart breaking because he was losing his touch providing food for her, and also having to watch her start this new relationship.

willard said...

Might be a little late on the vampire rules, but according to early greek legends about vampires, someone must first die to become a vampire, and when you die your eyes dilate all of the way, so there is no such thing as sun sensitivity for vampires, it just would make it super hard for them to see, and homes were usually lit with some sort of oil lamp, thus making them blinded and unable to see who they were attacking, so they stayed away.

Jumbo's Lezis said...

Very interesting. Werent vampires the blame for the bubonic plague?

Anonymous said...

Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

- Daniel